Monday, October 8, 2012

DIY UofO GLAM Schedule

This is a total Pinterest inspiration project!  I saw this, and I cannot even recall who had done it because GASP! I didn't pin it! Heartbreaking! But it was a beautiful DIY game board for that family's favorite team. What genius!  We are a family originally from Eugene, so we are loyal Duck Fans!  YELL O!!!!!!



 
Aren't they wonderful?!  We watch then pretty religiously every Saturday. Recently,  I have realized that I prefer to watch college football over the professional league (I love the Bears). Alex's birthday this year was an Oregon Duck's Football Party.  We love our Ducks!  What better way to show our love for them, than to creat a GLAM Game board for the upcomming games!






I knew the basic idea so I was off to one of my favorite places....the goodwill.  I swear it's a treasure hunt, at least that's how my children refer to it.  Luckily I was able to score the perfectly shaped piece!  I removed the picture inside, and gave everything a good cleaning.  I love thrift shopping, but it usually requires a bit of elbow grease to get everything up to my standard.  Anytime that you are painting something you want to make sure that it's clear of all dust and dirt.



The frame started out with a lovely pattern so I didn't need to add anything.  I was prepared to be glaming up my frame, and you can do this easily yourself if your frame could use a lil' pick-me-up.  All you need to do is break out your glue gun, and start creating a pattern on the frame, then wait for it to dry and paint over.  It looks great! 

 
 
 
I used one of the left over jello containers and filled it with FolkArt metallic paint in gold, and added a couple globs of black to darken it up.


 
 
 
I brushed it on pretty liberally, then using a paper towel dabbed the excess paint off, and worked my way around the frame.  Note:  The Glass has been removed and was set aside.
 
 
 
 
Chalkboard paint is very easy to make, for this I used 1/2 cup of paint to 1 tablespoon of unsanded tile grout. 

 
 
 

 I used a foam brush and applied the paint directly onto the glass.  I allowed both pieces to dry overnight before reassembling our new chalkboard.
 
 
 
 
 
Viola!  The ultimate glam game schedule!  My son appreciates being able to see what games are coming up, and I appreciate it matching the rest of the decor.  In all, I think the total cost on this project was around $10. 
 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment