Thursday, April 18, 2013

Stressed = Desserts


Red Velvet Poke Cake







Oh, this is SO not on my diet plan!  I'm starting to think that this is becoming more of a Food blog than a Mom blog.  It's cold outside, sunny days are sporadic so that leaves us to find fun things to do inside our home.  Trolling the Internet late one night I came across a banana creme poke cake on some random blog. I wish I could remember where I was, but it was probably 1 or 2 in the morning, and of course I didn't save it.  Adorable little country food blog, if you happen to come across it please send me an email.  The thing looked AMAZING!  I was inspired to create this ASAP.



I literally cannot put into words how delicious this cake was.  The pudding poured into the holy cake created a moist, not watery, consistency that was experienced with every bite.  The cake itself was quite easy, and could be made easier with a box red velvet cake mix.  I always use my own red velvet recipe, but I'm sure box would be fine too. 




Jaydyn is 9 now, and a chef in training.  He always offers to help me in the kitchen making dinner, lunch whatever he can help with.  For Christmas I made him a chef's hat and apron (Boy approved with skulls and everything).  The kid makes me grin from ear to ear when I walk in the door and he's got that hat on, ready to start baking or cooking!

Now, if you have been following me for a while, or know me personally you probably know that I enjoy red velvet cake.  It is the ONLY cake that I enjoy.  I don't care how I devour them; Cupcakes, cake pops, cakes or brownies I'm not picky.  Now I officially have a "Poke Cake" to add to my plentiful options. 



I started with my recipe for red velvet cake:

2½ cups all purpose flour
1½ cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1½ cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk (combine 1 cup nonfat milk w/ 1 tbsp lemon juice is you don’t have buttermilk)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 large bottle red food coloring




Pre-Heat the oven to 350.  In a medium bowl, combine; flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt, whisking together. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar, beat until well blended. Mix in the dry ingredients on slowly until creamy. Bake for 35-30 minuets (my oven is a bitch so you may have to adjust the time, just FYI).



After the cake was baked I covered it with tin foil and placed in in the fridge for 30mins. I did this to speed up the cooling process, because lets face it I am NOT the worlds most patient person in the world.



I used the knife sharpener that came with my knife block to poke these holes. I wanted something that was round, large enough to pour the jello INTO (not just resting atop). Straws were to small in diameter, the end of my wooden spoon was to large, then the knife sharpener practically jumped out at me.  It's not something that we use, it's just ascetically pleasing so I finally got some use out of it!



After I had created the "Holy Grail Cake" OK, I'm Jewish so I hope that pun makes sense.  I then used a package of Vanilla pudding and a package of White chocolate pudding, following the directions on the box then immediately pouring it on top of the Holy Cake Mess.  I covered it in tin foil again and let it set for about 2 hours. 

When we were ready to serve it, I used a tub of whip cream and chopped up some oreos we had in the cupboard and Viola!  My very own delicious Red Velvet Poke Cake. 

 



With every bite, it got better and better.  You won't need a large slice with this baby, a little goes a long way.  Heck of a surprise dessert night!








No comments:

Post a Comment