Sunday, April 7, 2013

Falling Back in Love with Oregon


Oregon coast family vacation






This week has been magical!  Operation Fall back in love with Oregon was officially a success.  When we started out, I didn't have the highest of hopes to be completely honest.  Don't get me wrong, I expected to have a great time, and enjoy the heck out of my kids!  I did not expect it to alter my opinions on our residency.  It may have done the trick, or at the very least it relieved some of the urgency I was feeling.






We have become so focused on the little, and less important things in our lives for the past year.  Dance class this day, Soccer practice on these days and we can't be late for game day!  We seem to have forgotten some of the reason's we had such a big family!  We created this family and it's our job to pull ourselves away from the city life more often and realize what is really important.  Unplug ourselves from our electronics for a couple of days, and go out and play!  Get dirty, go swimming, go hiking just GO!  










We enjoyed a care free, fly by the seat of our pants vacation.  I understand that to some people the sound of not having a plan-of-action would be terrifying.  Not us! We embraced it.  Getting in our SUV, only knowing our first destination was exciting.  Initially for our two oldest boys, the first day was hard because they didn't like not having a plan.  By dinner, they got the idea. 





We stopped at cute, quaint places along the way.  In Cannon Beach, we found the cutest Pig N' Pancake.  The service was wonderful, and the place had an adorable "at-home" atmosphere, which we especially enjoy.  Chris enjoyed their organic house blend coffee, saying it was one of the best he's had.  Super cute little gift shop in the restaurant had these adorable little name signs, we were able to score one for all of the kids, although the spelling was off.  









Taking advantage of our local wildlife, AKA the Aquarium and the Zoo was a bonus since it's right in our backyard!  We had never visited the aquarium before, and we are now members, and can enjoy a little fish time whenever our hearts desire!  We are members of the Portland Zoo but this was the first time that we had gone this year, and we got to see a couple of our newest additions!  Lilly the baby elephant was born not to long ago, and one of our otters recently became a mommy as well! 





When we moved up to Portland a few years ago I had mixed feelings about the zoo.  I do not like to see animals in captivity, especially those backyard style zoo's.  One visit to the zoo, and a little online research put all my fears at ease. The setting created at the zoo is beautiful and if for whatever reason they have to be in a zoo, I'm glad they are here. The only exhibit that I was concerned about was the Elephant's, but just announced publicly they are planning to break ground this year on a beautiful very expansive land for these majestic beauties to roam.  I am beyond excited to see it completed, which should be in 2015. 



As we traveled through Oregon I cannot help but feel a connection to the state, one I had not noticed before.  For the first time in years, I am excited to share some experiences with my children again.  I admit that I have been focused on a lot of unnecessary "stuff" and I really need to switch up my priorities here. 

My children are not going to be little forever.  One day they will not be excited to walk along the beach holding my hand. They won't reach over and kiss me across the table with ice cream lips.  This vacation helped me put my priorities in line. I am blessed for this family, for my husband, my life.  I am an exceptionally lucky person, at times I forget that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment