Saturday, October 13, 2012

Kickin' Cashew Chicken

wow Wow WOW! OK, so I have been on a kick lately of red pepper flakes. I love 'em! Usin' them whenever I can.  OK, so it's only been a week but I'm feeling adventurous, so cut me a little slack.  I enjoy the flavor they give, and I'm encouraging everyone to give them a little more thought that just, on top of cheese pizza.  That being said, red pepper flakes sprinkled atop a crispy thin crusted cheese pizza with a bit if Parmesan (shredded).......A-MA-ZING! 




So cashew chicken was on the menu!  It seems a bit daunting, but it is worth it.  Hell, if I can make it on a weeknight, while helping 5 kids do homework, I think you can fit this in.  As I sit down to write this post, days after enjoying it, I can still taste it.  The chicken is moist, and the flavor of the red pepper flakes in the sauce, it's just amazing.

Cashew Chicken
  • 1 pkg Chicken Tenders
  • 1 tbsp. cooking sherry
  • 2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup oil (I use peanut oil)
  • 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 3-4 green onions
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 3/4 cup cashews
  • Toasted sesame seeds as a garnish
Sauce
  • 8 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 8 tsp. Sugar
  • 4 tsp. white vinegar



You'll want to start by cutting the chicken into pit sized pieces.  Combine 1 tbsp. soy sauce and the cooking sherry in a medium sized bowl, add that to the cut up chicken and set aside while you whip up the sauce.  In a small bowl whisk all sauce ingredients together, and set aside.   Slice up the green onions, mince the garlic, and measure out red pepper flakes. 



Drain the chicken, removing as much of the liquid as possible.  Now get out your wok, I love mine!  Heat the oil over high heat.  Add red pepper flakes to oil, and give it a couple of stirs.  Add the chicken all together, cooking until golden then turn.  Add the garlic, and continue to cook the chicken until it's golden on all sides.  Make sure to check that it's cooked through, because after this we're just simmering for flavor. Add cashews.  Move the wok away from the element, then add the sauce, it will thicken quite a bit.  Return the wok to the element for another 5 minuets or until thickened to desired consistency.  Sprinkle green onions atop, and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.  


 
 
I really like this meal, I usually serve this with white rice.  I hear no complaints about dinner from the kids. Whenever that happens, I count this a dinner success!  Enjoy!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment